Monday, January 2, 2012

Scrap Your Story begins!

Well, as you can tell, I am so excited about my plan for 2012, I even did a full blog makeover!!  I can't wait!  I'm sure you have also noticed all the different plans out there for 365 or 52 or project life or one little word, etc.  I love all of these and they inspire me to scrap and set goals and record all the little things in life!  But I'll be honest, as wonderful as these projects are, I have one very small-looming problem...I have about 37 years of my life with little to no scrapping done on it!  I have done great for the past 3 years and captured most of the details of our family life. I have even printed these into books for my children to enjoy!  I plan to continue moving forward, year by year, scrapping in the moment!  But what to do with the 37 years that are missing?

And I'll be honest, for many of those years, I have limited photos or photos that are in boxes, needing to be scanned.  In my basement, I have boxes of journals and pictures and special things I've collected.  These are all gathering dust and if I died tomorrow, my children would have no idea what most of those things even meant!

Please tell me I'm not alone!  Raise your virtual hand, if you find yourself in the same predicament!  If you raised your hand, then this project is for you! I can't promise that all past years will be caught up, but we'll make a dent on it!  We won't be scrapping in chronological order because my 37 years might be your 5 or 15 or 20 or 45!  But if you follow along with the weekly prompts, you'll have quite a stockpile of layouts ready to print and be organized into albums!

Let's get started!  Shall we?  January is all about wrapping up the old and unwrapping the new!  This week, we are going to focus on a year in review-but not 2011!  That will come later!  The last week of every month, will be focused on scrapping the current-but the other three will deal with the past!  So, what I want you to do, is think of a year, any year in your past and scrap a Year in Review layout.  Try to think of something from every month of that year (if you have a picture for each one-Great--if not, no worries!).  We're not worrying about all the little details-just get the bullet points!  If you have energy to do more than one-go for it!!  This will not only be a great way to remember whatever year you choose, but it will serve as an outline when you get ready to scrap more about that year!

We're also going to have a weekly contest!   Once you have scrapped your layout(s), post the link in the comments of this post by Thursday night of this week.  I will do a drawing and the winner will receive a $3.00 coupon to my store!  How fun is that?  Scrap 1 layout and you have 1 chance!  Scrap 10 YIR layouts and you have 10 chances!!  I can't wait to see what you all do!

Here is a freebie to get you started:

link expired

I'm also beginning a blog schedule, so each day of the week will have a different theme!  Check in tomorrow for photo tips and inspiration!!

25 comments:

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 4 post on Jan. 02, 2012. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

Hugs Kirsten.

evelester @ gmail.com said...

What an amazing idea!! I am so in on this!!

sherry said...

What a great idea. One YIR a week should be completely doable. Thanks for the freebie too.

NanaScraps said...

I started to do this..I started with the year I left home in 74..I am up to 1977...lots of work..have to scan all those pictures (and I am anal about doing them in order and to scrap every picture I have)lol but that is just me..so I might just give this a whirl..thank you for today's template

Sharon said...

I will start with 2011 for a year in review and then go backward from there. Thanks for the template!

boop52245 said...

thank you

Sharon said...

Here's my first YIR for 2011!

http://dsldjenkinsrus.blogspot.com/2012/01/year-in-review.html

Jennifer said...

Love your idea about going back to previous years....thank you.

Alicia said...

That's a great idea. I think my first step needs to be eeking out some regular scrapbooking time. I've got the majority of my old photos organized by year (still wanting to scan them), and have filed lots the misc memorabilia in labeled folders in file boxes. I used to worry about something happening to me and my family having no idea what the piles of scraps were about! I hope you'll be keeping your readers updated as to how this project is going for you. I might try to follow along once life settles down a wee bit.

Ramona said...

Sharon, love your layout! Alicia, I will be totally scrapping along side my prompts and showing my work! I can't wait to take this journey with everyone else!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a lovely template :)

Ruth said...

Ok, I'm waving my hand. LOL This is EXACTLY what I need to do. For various reasons (floods, etc.) I don't have a lot of pics from mots of my life or even my kids lives, but I need to find a way. Sounds like you have ideas. I'M IN!!!!!!!!
Just found your site today - this is the first post I read. Now following you. I am a beginner (also a long story LOL) & am handicapped so you may not hear from me or see much from me too often but I'll be out here watching (que the spooky "lurker" music LOL)

Terri ( Meterr) said...

Holy crap!! THIS is really going to help me, and motivate! Its easy to snap pics of everyday things now and scrap them, but i also have MY life(pre-wife and parent).. and as a genealogist, my rellies lives to scrap as well. The pics are special to me, so i want the layouts to really shine. I dont use the old photos for regular challenges because I want the layout to be something im truly proud of, which sometimes is not the case with challenges. Im so glad i found your blog! this will be fun, and thereputic as well i think!!!

Terri ( Meterr) said...

I also did a shout out about your project onmy facebook wall!!!!

Jacynthe said...

Thanks so much!!!

Claire said...

I've been following your blog for a couple of months, and I've loved your suggestions! I just scanned a bunch of photos from my college days.

Thanks for the inspiration!

KajunKJ said...

Thanks so much...I really,really love your templates!

kc71595 said...

This is so inspirational! I don't have many pics of myself as a kid, nor the memories to go with them :( But I have lots of photos from my kids' childhood that I really need to get scanned and scrapped. I am going to TRY and keep up with this!

Ramona, I have been loving the Memory Clips templates, but was not even aware you were the woman behind the product!! How awesome! Keep up the great work! And thank you so much for sharing your amazing talent and inspiration with the rest of us!!

~Krista J.
kc71595

Nancy said...

Great template and great idea! Thank you for the inspiration!!

Use Your Words said...

This sounds like a great idea! Life is kinda busy right now....but I would like to capture the memories I have for my children. I'm looking forward to see how it goes from here. :)

lawyerlyn said...

this is a great idea. here's my year in review for 2011.

2011 highlights

Michele said...

I like your plan. I have done well with keeping current for the last three years -- I do Project 52 for scrapbooking -- and I've been wanting to do a retroactive Project 52 for years before 2009. I've only done a few such layouts. You are offering a reminder program so I can do this more often. Thanks!

Sue said...

Thanks so much for the lovely template! :)

Célia Costa said...

Thanks for the lovely freebie !